Stevia is one of the best sweeteners to use because it does not encourage the overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria or fungi in the digestive tract. The first key to enjoying stevia is using it in recipes with strong flavors to balance its sweetness. Cranberries work wonderfully for this because of their tartness. Pairing lemons and stevia also works well. The second key to using stevia is to use much less than you think you would like so that the flavor is not over-powering.
- 1 (12 oz) pkg organic cranberries, washed and picked over
- 1 cup 100% cranberry-raspberry juice (apple is okay)
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 2-3 drops or pinches of stevia (more if desired)
- Combine cranberries, juice, and orange zest in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, and cook about 20 minutes or until the cranberries pop open. Carefully skim off any foam that forms on the surface.
- Remove from stove and slowly add stevia, tasting while you work until the sweetness is right. Cool. (Optional to refrigerate until ready to serve). Recipe may be doubled and made in advance.