Skip to content
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped chili pepper, hot or mild
- 6-8 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 Tbls. sea salt
- 4 Tbls. whey (if not available, use an additional 1 Tbls. of sea salt)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- Mix all ingredients and place in a quart-sized, wide-mouth mason jar. Press down lightly with a wooden pounder or meat hammer, adding more water if necessary to cover vegetables. The top of the vegetables should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar.
- Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 2 days before transferring to cold storage. Makes 1 quart. Adapted from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.