Picture of Black Futsu Pumpkin
Adapted from Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook by Sarah Fragoso
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1 cup pecans
4 Tablespoon melted ghee or coconut oil
pinch raw Baja Gold sea salt or other raw sea salt
2 cups cooked pumpkin or 14oz organic canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh or dried ginger
1/2 cup raw organic honey
1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If you are baking your own pumpkin then remove the seeds and place in a covered dish with about 1/4 cup water on the bottom. Place in oven and bake until soft or about 45 minutes.
2. Place the hazelnuts and pecans in food processor and process until the nuts are finely ground; make sure you stop before the nuts start to turn into nut butter.
3. Pour the ground nuts into a small mixing bowel and add the melted oil and salt, and mix into a dough.
4. Use your hands to spread the dough evenly into a pie pan and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust starts to brown. (It takes about 20 minutes in my oven).
5. While the crust is in the oven, mix all pie filling ingredients with a hand-held mixer.
6. Once the crust is out of the oven, pour the filling into the crust, return the pie to the oven and bake for an additional 45 minutes.