This is a yellowish, cloudy, tart, and slightly carbonated beverage.
- 2 cups orgainic, soft spring wheat berries or other whole grain (millet, quinoa)
- Filtered water
- 2 quart glass jars
- cheesecloth or screw-on sprouting cover
- Place wheat berries in a 2 quart jar. Fill with water and cover top with cheesecloth held in place with a rubber band, or use specifically made screw-on sprouting cover. Soak at room temperature for 8-10 hours. Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Place jar at an angle and leave for 2 days at room temperature. Rinse the berries 2-3 times a day, while they begin to sprout.
- After 2 days, rinse throughly and fill the jar with water. Soak for 48 hours.
- Pour off rejuvelac and store in glass container in the refrigerator. If foam forms, simply lift off with a spoon. Makes 6 quarts.
- A second batch may be made by filling the jar and soaking for 24 hours; a 3rd batch by filling again and soaking another 24 hours. After this time the berries are spent and may be put outside for the birds or composted.