Experiment with this recipe using other veggies like cabbage, brussel sprouts, or squash.
- 10 large carrots, chopped coarsley
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped coarsley
- 3-7 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbls. olive oil
- 4-6 cups hot water or vegetable broth
- 3 Tbls. dried basil
- Seasonings: sea salt and cayenne pepper or paprika
- dash of olive oil and dash of apple cider vinegar for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place carrots, onions, garlic, and any other vegetables you would like to put in soup (celeriac, turnips, etc.) in a baking dish with the olive oil and cover. Bake until carrots are soft to your liking (may take 60-85 minutes). The longer you roast, the sweeter the carrots will get. About 10 minutes prior to removing the carrots from the oven, heat up the water or broth on the stove until boiling.
- When carrots and water are done, combine both in a food processor or blender. If you have a small blender, you may need to do this in 2 batches or more. Add less water for a thicker stew, and more for a thin puree.
- Taste your soup and decide what seasonings to try. A little vinegar will give it more "zip"and oil will make it "heavier". For a little spice, try garlic powder, hot peppers, paprika, or freshly ground black pepper.