This recipe calls for the root vegetables, but shiitake mushrooms, zucchini, brussel sprouts, and cabbage are just a few examples and are very filling and delicious when baked.
- You can roast any number of vegetables with lard, coconut oil or olive oil in the oven
- 3 lbs. root vegetables (you choose 1 or more types! Turnips, beets, parsnips, carrots, onions, etc. and save the greens, if available, for sautéing)
- 4 cloves or more of garlic, chopped finely
- 3 Tbls raw apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbls fat (lard, coconut oil, or olive oil)
- 1 Tbls rosemary and other herbs such as dried parsley (1 tsp), dried oregano (1 tsp), dried basil (1 tsp), etc.
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare vegetables by scrubbing those with skins and peeling those with rough skins. Cut into ½ inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, rosemary, other herbs, and liquid aminos.
- Place veggies and garlic in a baking dish and toss with the contents of the small bowl. Then, place veggies in a single layer in the dish. Roast in oven for 40-60 minutes or until tender and light brown. You may need to stir the veggies after approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve alone or on a bed of fresh greens such as spinach, mustard greens, lettuce or the sautéed greens from the beets, turnips, and carrots.