Skip to content
- 2/3 cup demerada sugar or other refined sugar
- 1 Tbls. licorice root, burdock root, or dandelion root (any combination)
- 1 Tbls. sassafras
- 1 Tbls. sarsaparilla
- Pour 1 quart of boiling water over sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Place roots in stainless steel pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil; simmer 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- When cool, strain into sugar syrup in a 2 quart jar. Add 1 cup starter (whey, ginger bug, or kombucha tea). Fill remaining space with filtered water. Keep jar at room temperature for at least 3 days. Taste as bubbles appear.
- May ferment longer for stronger flavor and more carbonation. May need to add sugar for bacteria to consume to create more carbonation. Store in refrigerator when taste is to your liking.