Dressings or stuffings for holiday meals are typically made from bread crumbs, but what most people do not realize is that wheat has an inflammatory effect on the body. The locally grown wild rice and millet offer tasty alternatives that are higher in fiber and vitamins than the bread-crumb alternatives.
- 2 Tbls toasted unrefined sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup sage (may use 1/8 cup)
- 2 tsp marjoram
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp winter or summer savory
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 3 cups cooked wild rice and brown rice or millet, quinoa, buckwheat, etc.
- sea salt to taste
- Saute the onions, celery, and mushrooms in the oil.
- When soft, add garlic and remainder of dressing ingredients except the rice, mixing well. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix well. You may need to double the recipe, depending on the servings required. Contact us for more ideas about how to transform your holiday favorite into a healthier and more enjoyable dish.