With the coronavirus in the news, and influenza B circulating around us, there are numerous things you can do to fully support your immune system. Here are my top suggestions. These can help with resisting viruses and speeding recovery:
- Vitamin D activates the immune system to attack viruses and most of us live in regions where we cannot make Vitamin D for much of the year due to lack of UV radiation in the winter. In Wisconsin, I suggest a minimum of 5000IU daily for adults but most people I consult with require 10,000IU daily in order to reach an optimal target level of 80. Children may be given this level temporarily when fighting a virus but daily doses closer to 1000-3000IU are more appropriate. We carry Liqua-D in MCT oil by Apex Energetics (available via phone order) that works well for children or those who prefer a liquid. Ortho Molecular's Vitamin D 5000IU is an example of a high quality capsule. Here's a tip to avoid catching that virus (past article on Vitamin D). If you are concerned about taking too much Vitamin D then you can opt for a product with Vitamins A and K which offset toxic effects of too much Vitamin D from supplements (We carry Apex Energetics Ultra D 5000 which is good for this). I use a Sperti Vitamin D light in order to make Vitamin D naturally through my skin and this can help with cutting back on supplementation.
- Probiotics can help prevent a virus from developing into a more serious infection in both adults and children. I like PRO 225 billion by Ortho Molecular for a serious boost in good bacteria. Take 1 packet in water daily or every other day for 2-4 weeks.
- Zinc inhibits viral replication and is effective against many viruses. We offer a $5 zinc test that takes 2 minutes at our office if you are unsure if you need zinc or not. This is the best way to determine if you need 75mg or just 5mg daily. My favorite zinc is Standard Process Zinc Liver chelate which comes in a chewable tablet and is available via phone order. We also offer an easy to absorb Reacted Zinc by Ortho Molecular. Sometimes when people take zinc it upsets their stomach if they are not making adequate stomach acid. If this is you then move the zinc to a bigger meal later in the day or take a Betaine HCL with the zinc supplement for better absorption.
- Congaplex chewable is an immune boosting complex that I especially like for children. It's good for adults, too. This is good for short term immune support for the thymus gland, and helps the body with making new cells. This is a Standard Process product that is available via phone order.
- Ultimate Echinacea tincture or Viracid capsules are my go-to for immediate anti-viral action as soon as first symptoms appear. Take 2-3 dropperfuls of the Echinacea tincture every couple of hours to help relieve symptoms like sore throat, congestion, sinus pressure, swollen lymph glands and fatigue. Pokeroot tincture may be added to the echinacea for more power. This article on pokeroot discusses other ways to avoid co-infections and help with congestion. The Viracid capsules may be taken the same way, every couple of hours until symptoms are relieved.
Finally, be sure to get plenty of rest, outdoor time and nourishing food. If you do come down with a virus and need more support, reach out to us. There are numerous other ways to help strengthen and expediate an immune response that we can cater to the individual.